24 October 2010


Update 7 November:  here is the final, although there is always more that can be done.

This is a sketch I'm doing for a project in my illustration class.  We got to choose a phobia and illustrate it in a creative way.  It's due on Thursday, so I should have the finished one up soon.  I chose Alice from Alice in Wonderland.  She is dressed in Goth clothes with a bucket of grey paint, painting the red roses Grey!  

I haven't added the roses to this version yet, so more to come.  this angle was challenging but really fun.  Thanks to my wife for posing for me.  
the one I tried from my head didn't work as well.

here is the earlier concept version.  she will be standing in the midst of the roses this time.  Looking at them side by side, I realize now how much I really really needed a reference!

23 October 2010

Stupid Wrench

This was the first project in Bill Carman's illustration class.  We were given a noun and an adjective.

I pulled "stupid" and "wrench".

the 1st panel had to be just the noun.
The 2nd panel had to be an illustration that represented the adjective and the noun Illustrated.
The 3rd panel was similar to the 2nd, only we had to use a photograph of our noun, and implement illustration somehow, while still represent the idea of a "stupid wrench"

the 1st and 2nd panel are pen and ink.
for the 2nd panel I used a Prismacolor 40% grey marker
The 3rd was done in Photoshop.  (the wrench and wall socket are photos that I took)

 3   5" x 5"  illustrations mounted on foamcore

15 October 2010


Im taking a printmaking class at BSU and we did a collograph project, which basically is all about "glueing" texture to a plate (in this case mat board) and then putting ink on it and running it through the press.  Each and every print will be completely unique because you can only run one print per application of ink.  well, unless you want to run it through again, but your colors won't be as strong but that can be a good thing!

I made this one huge on this link to see the textures.  

I split mat board in half thickness, and used a razor blade to cut every single shape out and glued it down to the plate.  It took a ton of time, and a TON of razor blades!!!


I added the second collograph, which i made by cutting leaves in a similar way to the ones above.