09 May 2012

Snail

For our final assignment in drawing II we were exploring movement.  We looked at artists such as William Kentridge and Michel Ocelot, among others.  I decided to try my hand at the charcoal method.  It was something I was sort of familiar with, having used it exclusively in figure drawing.

This project presented numerous challenges.  I hadn't done an animation before, so I didn't really know how many drawings you had to do to make a smooth transition.  My life drawing class helped considerably, but I am obviously far from a comfortable working knowledge.  i have 176 individual drawings in the movie.  I thought it was closer to 200.  I think I cut some out.  I looped some of the drawings (in iMovie) so it ended up being about 250 frames.

I didn't get much feedback for it.  I don't think many found it that interesting.  I guess that is ok.  It really does lack content and meaning.  It's pretty short as well.

Overall I'm ok with it.  I learned a lot about what works and what doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment