09 May 2012

Restriction

Our second to last project in illustration looked at artists like Kara Walker.  We used silhouettes to tell a story or idea(s).

I love silhouettes because as an illustrator, they are King.  

Anyway, I think that there is a lot of irony in society about the idea of freedom.  I remember being an analogy about kites, and how if you cut their strings while they are flying they will simply fall to the ground.  I think there was a story about a kite that wanted to fly higher and that is what happened.

So placing human beings in that scenario was interesting to me.  How often do we feel restricted by laws, rules, religion, etc?  we want to be free and autonomous but we foolishly believe that rejecting the things that set boundaries for our own good with make us free.  

These are pictures that my instructor took of them in the hallway at BSU.  we had limited space, and it was pretty cramped, but it ended working out ok.  I rather liked how it turned out.

you can't see it well in these pictures, but 2 of the people on the cliff are holding scissors :)



No comments:

Post a Comment